Paying Respects at Central Memorial Park
Central Memorial Park, located in Calgary’s “Beltline” at 12th Avenue and 2nd Street SW, is Calgary’s oldest park. The 2 hectare park, occupying 2 full city blocks, is home to numerous attractions:
🏛 the historic Memorial Public Library is a National Heritage Site;
🗽 the Boer War Memorial equestrian statue regarded as one of the top 4-ranking statues of its kind in the world;
🗽 a WWI soldier statue;
🏛 a cenotaph, one of several locations in the City where annual Remembrance Day ceremonies are hosted on November 11th every year;
🌷 Victorian landscaped gardens;
⛲️ an LED-lit fountain and smaller splash fountains;
🌞 pathways and benches;
🍽 a restaurant;
🚻 public washroom facilities.
The park offers a welcome respite from the busyness of City and office life during a week-day lunch hour, or as a meeting place for friends to connect.
In the Spring and Summer months it’s alive with activity and awash with fountains, flowers, fairs and festivals.
We have included the Boer War Memorial equestrian statue, located at the focal point of the Park, in our unique downtown public statues and ice cream cycle circuit.
Central Memorial Park can be found on Google Maps here. The Park is directly accessible by car, taxi, public transit (bus), on foot and by bicycle.
- For public transit (bus and C-train) access, you can plan your visit using the City of Calgary transit website;
- If you are arriving in your own vehicle, paid street parking is available around the Park. Consult local signage or calgaryparking.com for details;
- If you are arriving as a pedestrian or by bicycle, consult the City of Calgary’s bicycle pathway maps here. Bike racks are available around the Park. For security reasons, remember to bring your own bicycle lock.
Other recommended nearby and downtown destinations and attractions
- Centre Street Bridge
- Prince’s Island Park
- Memorial Drive’s Field of Crosses (November)
- Eau Claire Market
- Some of our favourite downtown coffee shops
- The neighbourhood of the Beltline and Mission
- Poppy Plaza
More information about Central Memorial Park can be found on the City of Calgary’s official website.