Let’s Glow Calgary, Let’s Glow: YYC Glow Winter Festival 2020
If a family-friendly winter festival were to have a name then I personally think this should be it.
As if Valentine’s Day and the city’s Hot Chocolate Festival weren’t enough, kickstarting on this Valentine’s Day and offering entertainment to young and old throughout the Family Day long weekend, you’ll want to find an excuse to be downtown along Stephen Avenue to explore Calgary’s Glow Winter Festival.
The long weekend’s Festival line-up is promising to make this year’s event brighter and more family-friendly than ever. And, if mother nature plays along, it’ll hopefully be a little less frigid and more inviting to be out on the streets of downtown than was our experience for the 2019 festival.
Live Music Events
With daily live music events kicking off at any one of three stages from 4pm till 10pm on Friday and Saturday and until 7pm on Sunday, there is no shortage of talent that will be showcased.
- The Main Stage is located beneath the Plus 15 connecting the Glenbow Museum and the Telus Convention Centre;
- The Acoustic Stage is located in front of the Bank & Baron;
- The Earth Harp Stage is located near Local 8th Ave
What Else is Happening?
Other cool live events include:
- axe throwing and a trackless passenger train in front of The Palace Theatre;
- ice carving in front of the Cellar Wine Store, Winners, Downtown Drug Mart, Saltlik, and ATB Financial;
- a live drawing project at Winners;
- snow globes near Riot on VIII and El Furniture Warehouse;
Pause and Refresh
- Awesome outdoor ice lounges will be set up outside Metropolitan / Local and the Guild, while Milestones will be operating their patio for you to pick up a drink;
- Warming igloos offer a break from the outdoor chill, located near Earls, National Bank, GoodLife Fitness, and Milestones;
- Firepits are available to keep your body’s block heater warm at: the intersection of Stephen Ave & 1st Street SW and Stephen Ave & Centre Street;
- A Sugar Shack will serve up maple treats at Winners.
But Don’t Forget The LIGHTS
All of this happens under the captivating glow of a stunning light spectacle along Stephen Avenue between 4th Street SW and 1st Street SE that will keep young kids through to aging adults enthralled. After all, the lights are the stars of the GLOW show!
Free parking has been made available from 3pm to 10am the following morning on each night of the festival at Lot 7 on 208 9th Ave SW as well as at Holt Renfrew and The CORE. Bankers Hall will offer free parking from 6pm.
More Long Weekend Activities
Now that we’ve filled your evenings over the long weekend, if you’re looking for fun activities to fill your daytime, check out these blogs for more outdoor family fun: