Trendy Downtown Calgary Neighbourhoods: Explore Inglewood
If you’re looking for a downtown neighbourhood that has it all, Inglewood is likely to check off all your requirements: located within easy walking distance from Calgary’s downtown and East Village; situated along the banks of the Bow River; offering a trendy shopping scene; serving up fantastic culinary destinations; boasting a buzzing live music scene; paved with extensive pathways for recreation; and home to some gorgeous parks and gardens. What more could you want?
Centred along 9th Avenue SE, Inglewood is Calgary’s oldest residential neighbourhood and home to some of the City’s most densely treed gardens. The 9th Avenue SE corridor – stretching from Studio Bell in the west to 14th Street SE, known to locals as Calgary’s Music Mile – features diverse shops, art venues, restaurants and coffee shops, many of whom host live music.
The neighbourhood is also home to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and Nature Centre. Pearce Estate Park houses the Bow Habitat Station, the Sam Livingstone fish hatchery, and the kayaking rapids of Harvie Passage along the Bow River near the neighbourhood’s eastern borders.
Some of our favourites go-to spots – and those receiving 4+ star ratings by the public on Google – are listed below and can all be found along 9th Avenue SE heading eastbound between the Elbow River and 15th Street SE (unless otherwise indicated by an * ):
🍴Dining | 🍻Drinking | 🎤 Live Entertainment | ⛱ Patios
- Deane House: 🏛 | 🍴| 💰💰
- Scarpetta Italian Eatery: Italian restaurant🍴| 🎤|💰💰 | ⛱
- Bite Grocer & Eatery: Deli 🍴|💰💰
- The Hose and Hound Neighbourhood Pub: 🏛|🍴|🍻|💰💰|⛱
- The Nash *: 🍴|💰💰💰
- Gorilla Whale: Restaurant 🍴|💰💰
- Without Papers Pizza: 🍴|💰💰
- Delightful Cafe: Vietnamese restaurant 🍴|💰
- Kane’s Harley Diner: 🍴|🛍
- Inglewood Pizza: 🍴
- Ironwood Stage & Grill: 🍴|🎤|🍻|💰💰
- Rouge *: Restaurant 🍴|💰💰💰💰
- Inglewood Drive In *: Fast food restaurant 🍴
- Spolumbo’s Fine Foods and Deli: 🍴|💰💰
- Festival Hall *: Non-profit organization, hall rental for events 🎤
- Cold Garden Beverage Company *: Brewery 🍻
- Salt & Pepper: Mexican restaurant 🍴|⛱
- The Blues Can: Restaurant 🍴|🎤|💰💰
☕️ Coffee & Confectionery
- Bricks Wine Company: Wine sales and tasting🍷
- Fairs Fair (For Book Lovers) Inc: Gently-used book store 📚
- Galleria Inglewood: potters and artisans 🎨
- The Apothecary in Inglewood: Aromatherapy products
- Recordland Limited: Music store
- Smithbilt Hats Inc *: Hat shop
- Circa Vintage Art Glass: Art gallery 🎨
- 4Cats: Arts centre 🎨
- STASH Needle Art Lounge: Yarn store
- Nerd Roller Skates *:
- Moonstone Creation *: Native art Gallery 🎨
- Knifewear Calgary: Knife store
- Plant: Garden centre 💐
- The Silk Road Spice Merchant: Spice store
- Willow Natural Foods: Natural goods store
- BikeBike: Bicycle store 🚴🏻
- Hunt House: 🏛
🌞 Outdoors & Recreation
- Inglewood river promenade and off-leash area;
- Bow Habitat Station and Sam Livingstone Fish Hatchery
- Harvie Passage and lookout
- Pearce Estate Park
- Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and Nature Area
Inglewood is considered to be a business revitalization zone, with the area having seen focussed upliftment and rejuvenation in recent years.
You can navigate to the neighbourhood of Inglewood here.
The neighbourhood is accessible by public transit (bus), private vehicle, taxi, bicycle or on foot.
- For public transit access, you can plan your visit using the City of Calgary transit website;
- If you are arriving in your own vehicle, paid street parking is readily available. Restricted parking may also be available on the side streets. Consult local signage or calgaryparking.com for more options.
- If you are arriving by bicycle, consult the City of Calgary’s bicycle pathway maps here. Bike racks are available at numerous locations along 9th Avenue and throughout the neighbourhood including along the Bow River Pathway system. For security reasons, remember to bring your own bicycle lock.
From this convenient location, visitors to Calgary can enjoy some of our other popular and unique exploration recommendations such as:
- Wall art and graffiti discovery detour;
- Public outdoor sculpture and favourite ice cream locations;
- Five fabulous cycle circuit routes associated with some cool coffee stops departing from the East Village, one of which features the neighbourhood of Inglewood;
- Terminate your floating the Bow river excursion here;
- If you’re strapped for time, consider our “Must-See Calgary” two-hour and half-day exploration options.