Find Your Favourite Winter Off-Leash Dog Parks in Calgary
It’s that time of the year when it’s less than enticing to take your favourite family pooch out for walks.
Winter has a way of nudging us to find creative ways to enjoy being outdoors with our furry friends. Slick sidewalks and snowy parks aren’t always the most inviting destinations to stroll with your four-legged besties. So, finding those spots where you can let them roam free without having to corral them all the time may be vital for your sanity (as well as for their fitness and momentary freedom).
The City of Calgary offers more than 150 off-leash locations for you to visit.
We’ve compiled a shortlist of well maintained off-leash dog parks around the city. Why don’t you create an opportunity to make a break from your regular neighbourhood dog park? Take the family along, or meet up with a friend: explore a new location and enjoy a change of scenery at least once this winter.
Most of these parks offer cleared (or, at least, well-trodden) pathways, rest benches, generous open spaces and convenient poop-disposal bins.
Our recommended winter off-leash dog park destinations
Click on the destination name in the table below to reveal a PDF of the zoned off-leash location (courtesy of City of Calgary, www.calgary.ca).
Click on the 🐕-icon adjacent to the destination name to navigate there using Google maps.
(*) Denotes parks that may have areas with potentially steep terrain.
⚠️ Doggy duties for owners
As a common courtesy to your fellow doggy lovers, please consider the following checklist to make your outdoor excursion an enjoyable experience for all:
- Poop disposal bags: if pooch poops, dispose of the fall-out in a suitable manner;
- check local signage to confirm that you are within the designated off-leash area;
- keep your canine under control, within sight and calling-distance at all times;
- keep to the right-hand side of paved pathways so other users can bypass you easily;
- when leashed, keep your furry friend on a lead no longer than 2m in length.
⚠️ Don’t leave home before considering that …
- Many locations don’t have winterized toilet facilities. Remember to take a comfort break before you leave home.
- Be aware that parking at your destination might be limited.
- Have you packed an adequate supply of poop bags?
- Exercise extreme caution walking in icy conditions: do you have suitable walking gear incase you need to navigate slick terrain?
- Don’t forget the wind chill factor: do you have suitable winter-wear for yourself and your furry companion?
- Do you have suitable car seat covers to minimize snow and mud spatter when your favourite canine is ready to return home?
Please leave your feedback, insights and recommendations based on your off-leash city experiences with your favourite four-legged friend in the comments section below.