Trendy Downtown Calgary Neighbourhoods: Discover Bridgeland
The neighbourhood of Bridgeland-Riverside, formerly known as Germantown, is primarily residential but is also shares the same address as Calgary’s world famous Calgary Zoo and iconic TELUS Spark (Science Centre). Connected to the City by the extensive Bow River pathway system, the neighbourhood is easily accessible to pedestrians, cyclists and transit commuters alike. Tom Campbell’s Hill Natural Park that defines the eastern border of the neighbourhood is a great location for viewing the city skyline and is also a popular destination for off-leash dog walking.
Some of our favourites go-to spots – and those receiving 4+ star ratings by the public on Google – are listed below and can be found along 1st Avenue NE heading eastbound between 4th Street NE and 12th Street NE (unless otherwise indicated by an * ):
🍴Dining | ☕️ Coffee & Markets
- Villa Firenze: Italian restaurant 🍴|💰💰💰
- Blush Lane Organic Market *: Natural goods store
- Burger 320 *: Hamburger restaurant 💰💰
- Blue Star Diner: Diner 🍴|💰💰
- OEB Breakfast: Breakfast 🍴|💰💰
- Shiki Menya: Ramen restaurant 🍴|💰💰
- LDV Pizza Bar: Italian 🍴|💰💰
- Sushi Bar Zipang: Sushi restaurant 🍴|💰💰
- La Brezza Ristorante: Italian restaurant 🍴|💰💰
- Bridgeland Market: Supermarket ☕️|🍎|🧀
- Tazza Deli & Grill: Middle Eastern deli 🍴
- Baya Rica Cafe *: ☕️
- Inglewood Art Supplies: Art supply store 🎨
- Leela Eco Spa – Bridgeland: 💅
- Tom Campbell Natural Hill *: 🌞|📸|🐕
You can navigate to the neighbourhood of Bridgeland here.
The neighbourhood is accessible by public transit (bus), private vehicle, taxi, bicycle or on foot.
- For public transit access, you can plan your visit using the City of Calgary transit website;
- If you are arriving in your own vehicle, paid street parking is readily available. Restricted parking may also be available on the side streets. Consult local signage or calgaryparking.com for more options.
- If you are arriving by bicycle, consult the City of Calgary’s bicycle pathway maps here. Bike racks are available at numerous locations along 1st Avenue NE and throughout the neighbourhood including along the Bow River Pathway system. For security reasons, remember to bring your own bicycle lock.
From this convenient location, visitors to Calgary can enjoy some of our other popular and unique exploration recommendations such as:
- Wall art and graffiti discovery detour;
- Nearby Tom Campbell Natural Hill and McHugh Bluff / Rotary Park are some of our recommended and favourite city skyline vantage points;
- Five fabulous cycle circuit routes associated with some cool coffee stops departing from the East Village, one of which features the neighbourhood of Bridgeland and the near northeast;
- Check out our off-leash dog parks in the area as well as our recommendations for winter outdoor activities (skating and sledding) that include locations in Bridgeland;
- Terminate your floating the Bow river excursion near the Zoo;
- If you’re strapped for time, consider our “Must-See Calgary” two-hour and half-day exploration options.
Find out more about what’s happening in this neighbourhood at trough the official Community Association Website.