I AM CALGARY’s 2019 Christmas Market Watch-List
With two months until we wake to Christmas day it seems that many shopping centres and stores are already beginning to lure customers with sparkling deals for the season. Calgarians are spoilt for choice when it comes to seasonal shopping opportunities. We, in our home, are already marking our diaries and gearing ourselves up to visit our favourite Christmas Markets in and around the city.
Here are three of our favourite markets that we will be visiting this year. We’ve also done the elf-work and included a list of links to neighbourhood and out-of-town markets that you might also wish to explore to save Santa and his helpers a little extra time in this busy season.
Tell us which is your favourite Christmas market by leaving a note in the comments section at the bottom of this article.
While you’re at it, check out these other articles with helpful Calgary winter and visitor tips:
- Things that you must do in Calgary if you only have a half-day to explore;
- Our lists of outdoor ice skating locations, some of the best toboggan slopes and our favourite cross-country ski and snow shoeing destinations that you will want to bookmark for later in the season;
- My uber-popular best city skyline vantage points recommendations.
We trust you will have a blessed Christmas as we remember that Christ is still the reason for this season!
A little drive out into the country is, somehow, always a treat. Wending our way to this Christmas market is the cherry on top of this treat and heralds in our Christmas shopping “cheer”. We love so much about this four-day market: the rustic location; the charming vibe; the variety of top-quality and affordable home-made arts, crafts and products; singing carolers and musicians; friendly and diverse vendors; the farm animals, miniature reindeer and hay bale rides. This is definitely our favourite Christmas-in-the-country market.
With vendors spread out across the extensive grounds, both indoors and outdoors, visitors need to be prepared to come well-dressed for weather. Numerous fire pits – and wholesome hot-food vendors – help take the edge off the sometimes-icy conditions.
💰 Access to the abundant parking and the market may require a small fee. A regular, free shuttle service is offered to visitors between the parking fields and the market entrance.
🗓 7-10 November, 2019
⏰ 10am to 5pm daily (except Friday, 10am to 7pm)
🚦Navigate to the market here.
✏️ no pets allowed
ℹ️ Click here for more details about the Market and vendors.
Our only sadness is that the Market doesn’t run for longer than a weekend.
A visit to Saskatoon Farm, located just south of Calgary, at any time of the year is a treat. The garden centre is a great attraction in the spring and summer seasons. Thanksgiving and the cooler weather make visiting the bakery and restaurant a must-do in the Fall. While a wintery December heralds their Christmas market-spectacle. Spread over two weekends, hosting over 200 vendors, and transformed into a winter-wonderland spectacle, you won’t want to miss out on being part of this event.
💰 Entry to the market is free.
🗓 7,8,14,15 December, 2019
⏰ 9am to 5pm daily
🚦Navigate to the venue here.
✏️ No pets allowed
ℹ️ Click here for more details of this and other events hosted by the Saskatoon Farm.
There is a reason that the world class facilities at Spruce Meadows are one of Calgary’s most popular tourist destinations. So, it’s no surprise that they also host one of the most glamorous, diverse and biggest Christmas markets around Cow-Town. Hosting over 300 vendors spread across multiple halls and tents, you won’t want to miss out on visiting the Spruce Meadows Christmas spectacle.
Be sure to leave yourself plenty time – and energy-reserves – to explore the extensive market grounds.
Be prepared to shop till you drop.
You should also be prepared to navigate masses of eager crowds, weary parents, elated children and gift-laden strollers.
The outdoor Christmas light displays are fantastic, so consider extending your stay into the evening.
💰 There is an admission fee. Complimentary parking is included with your admission fee at selected lots. Discounted admission fees are available with advance ticket purchase on-line.
🗓 15-17 November | 22-24 November | 29 November – 1 December, 2019
⏰ 10am to 7pm on Friday | 10am to 7pm on Saturday | 10am to 5pm on Sunday
🚦Navigate to Spruce Meadows here. Follow signs to the designated parking areas as posted on Stoney Trail / Spruce Meadows Trail / Highway 22X.
✏️ A complimentary Red Arrow shuttle bus service is available between the Somerset / Bridlewood LRT station and Spruce Meadows. Report to the Spruce Meadows Shuttle tent for departures on the north-east side of the LRT parking lot, opposite Lowes.
✏️ no pets allowed
ℹ️ Click here for more details of this event.
But wait, there’s more …
You can also explore other seasonal markets happening in and around Calgary with the helpful lists and links below.
Calgary Communities (arranged by quadrant and then by date)
- 37th Annual Bearspaw Fall & Christmas Market : 25 to 27 October ($3)
- Silver Springs Christmas Crafter’s Market – 16 November ($donation)
- Handmade Here Collective Boutique Christmas Sale | Triwood – 16 & 17 November 17-18 (free admission)
- Winter Greens & Festive Lights Christmas Market – 16 November
- Scenic Acres Christmas Arts & Crafts Sale – 23 November (food donation)
- Make It! Holiday Market | Northland Village – 29 November to 1 December ($3)
- Foothills Alliance Christmas Market – 5 December (free admission)
- Triwood Christmas Market : 7 December ($donation)
- Huntington Hills Community Association Christmas Market : 8 December
- Christmas Market at Highwood : 13 & 14 December (free admission)
- Last Minute Holiday Market | Bowness : 13 & 14 December ($4)
- Etsy Calgary’s One-Stop Christmas Shop : 30 November ($3)
- Calgary Christmas Market : (Calgary Farmers’ Market) 14 November to 23 December (every Thursday – Sunday) (free admission)
- Art Market Art & Craft Show | Telus Convention Centre : 14 to 17 November ($12)
- Auburn Bay Christmas Craft & Marketplace – 16 November (food donation)
- Mahogany Christmas Market – 16 November (food donation)
- Grand South Christmas Market – New Brighton – 16 November (food donation)
- 26th Annual Blessed Cardinal Newman Christmas Market – 16 November
- Lake Bonavista Christmas Craft Fair – 16 & 17 November (free admission)
- Little Modern Market Holiday Edition – 23 November ($5)
- Fort Calgary Holiday Artisan Fair : 23 & 24 November ($donation)
- Calgary Expo Holiday Market – 30 November ($10)
- Market Collective @ BMO Centre : 6 to 8 Dec | 13 to 15 Dec | 20 to 22 Dec ($6)
- Contextural Christmas Artisan Sale – 15 & 16 November (free admission)
- Crestmont Christmas Market – 16 & 17 November (free admission)
- Shawnessy Christmas Craft Fair – 16 November
- Alberta Craft Council: Let It Snow – 23 November ($20-$40)
- Got It Made: A Handcrafted Market – 23 November
- Lakeview Christmas Market – 24 November
- Find Christmas Downtown at The CORE Shopping Centre – 28 November (free admission)
- Once Upon a Christmas at Heritage Park – 23 November to 24 December [weekends only] ($11)
- Winter Magic at Eau Claire : 1 December
- Strathcona, Christie and Aspen Holiday Craft Fair – 7 December
Beyond Calgary (arranged by direction and then by date)
North of Calgary
- Airdrie Christmas Show: 1 & 2 November
- Balzac Christmas Market : 16 November
- Heron’s Crossing Christmas Market | Airdrie : 22 & 23 November
- Rustic Ranch Christmas Market : 7 & 8 December
- Century Downs 5th Annual Christmas Market : 7 & 8 December
South of Calgary
- The Rustic Hutch : 2 & 3 November | 9 & 10 November
- Okotoks Christmas Market: 8 to 10 November
- 4th Annual Azuridge Christmas Market : 16 & 17 November
- Nanton Christmas Market at the Rink : 23 November
- Christmas in the Country – Leighton : 2 & 3 December | 9 & 10 December
East of Calgary
- 26th Annual Chestermere Artisan Show : 2 November
- Chestermere Christmas Market 2019 : 9 & 10 November
- Aspen Crossing Annual Christmas Market – 16 & 17 November
- Strathmore Farmers’ Market Annual Christmas Market : 30 November
- Chestermere Christmas Market : 6 & 7 December
West of Calgary
- Banff Christmas Market : 15 to 17 November | 22 to 24 November
- Cochrane Christmas Market : 17 November
- Bragg Creek Artisans Christmas Sale : 16 & 17 November
- Canmore Christmas Artisans’ Market : 16 & 17 November
- Kananaskis Christmas Market : 16 & 17 November
- Cochrane Artisan Christmas Market : 7 December